[safnog] [afnog] RIPE WHOIS & IRR Database for Out-Of-Region Resources

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Aug 13 09:21:25 UTC 2018

On 9/Aug/18 14:06, Nishal Goburdhan wrote:

> yes, but please, only after some education.  we’ve done some tutorials
> at kznnog and iweek, but i don’t hear about this sort of training
> happening elsewhere.  for the IRR module, the afrinic training website
> says:  “slides coming soon” for a long time now ..

Agreed.

We (SAFNOG) are working on providing tutorials during the upcoming
meeting in Dar Es Salaam, next month. We hope it carries the momentum on
to other conferences.

> these might sound trivial, but until the tools exist to make it easier
> for operators to do this, guess how many are going to .. :-/
> i’ve asked about a roadmap for my.afrinic, many times, but i am
> constantly told i am the only one asking for this.  perhaps more
> people here could start asking for the same, so we can give feature
> requests to afrinic for things that are important to us ..

Would be helpful for someone at AFRINIC to jump in and comment.

That said, while the toolset needs more work, there is sufficient
incentive for folk to get their objects registered in the AFRINIC IRR,
or face potential routing partition from within the larger global
provider community.

I know a number of operators in Africa use RADB, but I also know a
number that aren't willing to pay for it.

Mark.