[safnog] Freeware/Open Source Software Routers

Simeon Miteff simeon.miteff at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:43:38 UTC 2015

Hi Graham

On 12 May 2015, at 6:28 AM, Graham Beneke <graham at inx.net.za> wrote:
> On 08/05/2015 16:39, Simeon Miteff wrote:
>> If you want the one-big-config-to-rule-them-all software routing
>> experience, you can buy a RouterOS or Vyatta license (maybe also
>> Cumulus?). I happen to know that you use "the 'tik", so I'm curious
>> to know if your question stems from frustration with the
>> closed-ness of RouterOS?
>
> I have my own biases that I did not want to impose on the discussion.
> I'm interested in hearing experiences from others. In this case
> Mikrotik RouterOS fails the *freeware* test. ;-)

Ok, so biases aside, for the sake of the discussion, can you elaborate on your objectives with the quagga/bird on *nix approach? Is it love of FOSS, a cost saving measure, the ease of hacking customisations into it?

Open and easily managed/maintained rarely come together in a product that is free (Redhat is a billion dollar business).

Regards,
Simeon.