[safnog] Help a Student: Global Perspective for Email Configuration Study

Tobias Fiebig T.Fiebig at tudelft.nl
Fri Jul 17 09:39:59 UTC 2020

Dear all,
I am a researcher at TU Delft in the Netherlands, looking into Security & Protocol Adoption.
My student Olamide Omolola is looking into how well email setups support different standards relevant in the delivery of email around the globe.
For this, we need many people, ideally from ‘smaller providers’, i.e., anything smaller than gmail/hotmail/yahoo, to send us emails.

Please consider participating in this study, and sharing it in your networks. To help us, please follow the instructions at:

https://www.email-security-scans.org/

Or directly send an email to the following addresses:

measurement at v4-mail.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at v6-mail.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at v6-mail.v6only.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at v4-mail.v6only.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at v6-mail.dnssec-broken.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at v4-mail.dnssec-broken.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at v4-mail-greylisting.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at v6-mail-greylisting.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at mail-tls-force.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at mail-tls-invalid.measurement.email-security-scans.org, measurement at mail-tlsa-invalid.measurement.email-security-scans.org

Important caveat: If your mailer validates recipient addresses before accepting mails, you might be unable to send to destination addresses that are (a) only resolvable via IPv6 only, or (b) Have broken DNSSEC, which we use to test DNSSEC validation. If this is the case, please just remove the 2-4 offending addresses from the To: header. Please also note that our test setups will test whether the host delivering mails to us is an open relay. Also note that you may receive bounces from your mail server for some of the destination addresses, e.g., if mails cannot be delivered via IPv6, or if your mail-setup validates DANE records for our DANE test domain. We do _not_ need a copy of those bounces.

In case you want to get results for a domain you operate or use early, please just drop me an email from the same domain and delivering servers after you participated, and I will share the data with you. :-)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Dr.-Ing. Tobias Fiebig,
Assistant Professor / Universitair Docent
Department Engineering Systems and Services

Informatie- en Communicatie Technologie (ICT)

TU Delft / Dept. ESS
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management (TBM)
Building 31
Jaffalaan 5 - room B3.170
2628 BX  Delft
P.O.Box 5015