[safnog] [afnog] RIPE WHOIS & IRR Database for Out-Of-Region Resources

Ben Maddison benm at workonline.africa
Fri Aug 3 07:03:02 UTC 2018

Hi all,

On 2018-08-02 10:15:56+02:00 Mark Tinka wrote:

    - All RIR's IRR databases.
    - RADB
    - NTT
    - Level(3)

www.irr.net<http://www.irr.net>  has a reasonably complete list - although it is a little out of date in some respects.

Since there is replication between AFRINIC and RADB (not sure about NTT, Level(3) or the other RIR's) via, AFRINIC members should not be concerned about global operators that generate filters based on this will lose their information after RIPE implement their changes.

I've written a little script (partly because I needed async python practise :-)) that reads that list of IRR database services and asks them for their sources listing (i.e. '!s-lc' or '-q sources', depending on the db type). You can find it at https://gist.github.com/benmaddison/f4ff3f203aaa4ae1020d72961c8abb88
The output this morning was:

```
whois.afrinic.net: [AFRINIC source listed]
whois.altdb.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.aoltw.net: [[Errno -2] Name or service not known]
whois.apnic.net: [AFRINIC source listed]
rr.arin.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.in.bell.ca: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
irr.bboi.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.canarie.ca: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.noc.easynet.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.epoch.net: [Connection timed out]
rr.host.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
jpirr.nic.ad.jp: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
rr.Level3.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.nestegg.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
rr.ntt.net: [AFRINIC source listed]
whois.openface.ca: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.ottix.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
rrdb.access.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.radb.net: [AFRINIC source listed]
rr.telstraglobal.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.rg.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.ripe.net: [AFRINIC source listed]
rr.risq.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
whois.rogerstelecom.net: [AFRINIC not found in source listing]
```

Level3 is a bit of a special case. They run two services (that I know of - there may be others):

rr.level3.net - is a whois service that appears to be running an ancient version of the RIPE DB, and doesn't support the '-q sources' query style. It does tell you the databases searched during unsuccessful queries, and based on this, does not appear to have AFRINIC data.

We run our own mirror (at irr.wolcomm.net) that we use to build our filters. That service has no authoritative data, and so is not mirrored by any 3rd parties. It does mirror AFRINIC data. Many other operators do the same.

Since a list of such local mirrors is not available, perhaps anyone on-list who is running a mirror could indicate whether they have AFRINIC data?

We've always encouraged all of our customers to create their WHOIS and IRR objects in AFRINIC as a matter of course, even if they've been used to using another database. I'd encourage all operators in Africa to push for this as well.

Good work ;-)

Daniel, perhaps you can tell us whether the above list agrees with the list of NRTM sessions you have running?

Cheers,

Ben