[safnog] Discriminatory remarks on the livestream of SAFNOG

kangazab at douanes.cd kangazab at douanes.cd
Wed Sep 6 07:41:18 UTC 2017

Dear All,

While writing on SAFNOG's livestream chat that the presentations are not
translated into French, the moderator arrogantly replies that they are
not translated into Zulu as well.

Here's the whole conversation:
>  Christophe KANGAMUTIMA ZABIKA
>  no french presentation
>
>  Internet Society
>  afraid not. no zulu either.
>
>  Christophe KANGAMUTIMA ZABIKA
>  In Africa, there are more speakers in French than in Zulu
>
>  Internet Society
>
>  But in SA?
>
>  Christophe KANGAMUTIMA ZABIKA
>
>  You could have provided French subtitling for those who will watch the
> video
>
>  Christophe KANGAMUTIMA ZABIKA
>
>  Quand vous diffusez en ligne c'est le monde entier en particulier
> l'afrique entière qui visionne cette conférence
>
>  Christophe KANGAMUTIMA ZABIKA
>
>  When you broadcast online it is the whole world especially the whole
> of Africa who views this conference.

Christophe KANGAMUTIMA ZABIKA

What's worse is that you're ironic about the fact that presentations are
not made in Zulu. It is unfortunate for a country that has had hundreds
of years of racist oppression. Your words prove that th
Internet Society

All I'm saying is that, for a South African Conference, it would be a
more appropriate supplement.

Internet Society

As it is, even with conferences in francophone regions, it is often not
possible to provide multi language webcasts. Reasons are both technical
and financial.

Internet Society

It is likely we will archive the conference on YouTube where it will
hopefully be auto captioned, in which case translated versions will be
available.

Christophe KANGAMUTIMA ZABIKA

You are a global organization and I think that in this title you should
measure the scope of your remarks because you do not know that thinks
the Zulu or Francophone Net surfers on this subject
Failed to post. Retry

Internet Society
We would certainly like to, however do not have unlimited resources.