[safnog] OSPF vs ISIS - Which do you prefer & why?

Michael Bullut main at kipsang.com
Thu Sep 1 12:25:23 UTC 2016

Greetings Team,

​While I haven't worked with IS-IS before but the only disadvantage I've
encountered with OSPF is that it is resource intensive on the router it is
running on which is why only one instance runs on any PE & P device on an
ISP network. OSPF is pretty good in handling the core network routing while
BGP & EGP handle the last-mile routing between PE & CE devices. BGP & EGP
can run on top of OSPF. I came across this *article*
<https://routingfreak.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/why-providers-still-prefer-is-is-over-ospf-when-designing-large-flat-topologies/>
when scrolling the web a while back and I still want to find out if am the
only one who thinks its a matter of choice between the two. Although there
isn't distinct 1:1 argument, it's good we discuss it here and figure out
why one prefer one over the other *(consider a huge flat network)**.* What
say you ladies and gentlemen?

Warm regards,

Michael Bullut.

---

*Cell:*
*+254 723 393 114.**Skype Name:* *Michael Bullut.*
*Twitter:*
* @Kipsang <http://twitter.com/Kipsang/>*
*Blog: http://www.kipsang.com/ <http://www.kipsang.com/>*
*E-mail:* *main at kipsang.com <main at kipsang.com>*