[safnog] Network Automation

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue May 3 19:25:50 UTC 2016

On 3 May 2016, at 20:44, Noah wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> What opensource tools are folks outhere using for network operation
> automation and to be be specific, bulk configurations, automated
> software
> upgrades of say a good number of network gears etc...

i use puppet to semi-automate management and maintenance of a good few
(70+) linux hosts.  if i knew more about puppet, that could probably
read “fully-automate”, but that’s my failing, not the system ..

you didn’t say what you wanted to do - if you’re looking for generic
support for network equipment (read:  routers+switches) you’re likely
to find ansible a better fit, since there’s no “client” involved
here;  just ssh.

of course, if you’re not already using rancid/oxidised, you’re
missing step #1.

—n.